If you want to avoid all the hassle and time it takes to back up and migrate a WordPress website, you need to use a reliable WordPress backup and migration plugin.
Once your WordPress website is up and running, the next most important thing to do is generate a proper and secure backup of your site.
Generating a backup of your WordPress site is an essential precaution for extreme situations such as a server crash, a DOS attack, or your site being hacked.
Today I put together a list of the best free and paid WordPress backup and migration plugins for you.
Best WordPress Backup Plugins ( Free & Paid) in 2022
BlogVault is our best bet for a number of reasons.
BlogVault is a managed WordPress backup service. This means that if a normal WordPress backup plugin is Bruce Banner, BlogVault is the Incredible Hulk.
More advantages compared to other solutions:
- The plugin works on its own – you don’t need to hang around while the plugin is backing up your WordPress site
- No waiting times or interrupted backups – you will get 100% reliable WordPress backups every time
- FREE trial site for trial restores – you can test your backups before restoring your WP site
- 1-click restore: never fight to restore your site again
- The history page helps you mark and find the correct backup to restore from; you can even see granular changes in each backup version
What you get:
- Incremental backups
- Scheduled backups
- Automated backups
- No additional server load
- Integrated test site and preparation option
- Easy migration to another hosting service
- Centralized control panel to manage multiple tasks for multiple websites
- Full backup to Google Drive and Dropbox accounts
- Custom backups
- Real-time backups for WooCommerce websites
- Availability monitoring
- You only need to click a button to restore your backup. This is by far the most promising feature of this plugin.
- The BlogVault plugin has an unlimited on-demand backup feature, which means you can take a backup whenever you want.
- It offers excellent personalized customer service which makes using the service even better.
- Storage is supported. Data is encrypted and securely stored on Amazon S3 servers. You have the option to upload it to remote storages like Dropbox, Google Drive or upload a database and files to your local system.
- The premium WordPress backup plugin also includes website security through MalCare security integration.
- Our favorite feature would be that once you’ve requested a full backup, you can exit the page and continue your other work. The backup will continue to run. You will receive an email notification when you are finished.
There is no free version.
How much does it cost:
Plans start at just $ 7.4 per month.
It offers three levels: basic, plus and advanced plans. It also has plans for agencies and web developers.
UpdraftPlus is one of the top-ranked WordPress backup and migration plugins on wordpress.org, with over a million installations currently active. Extensively tested and reliable.
UpadraftPlus makes it easy and fast to create backup copies of all the files and folders on your website.
What you get:
- Scheduled and custom backups
- Manage WordPress multisite network
- Easy backups and restorations
- Supports multiple cloud storage options
- Clone your site and test the changes
- Migrate your cloned site to a new domain or host
Free version of WordPress backup plugin Updraftplus
The free version has features like:
- Backup to Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, UpdraftVault, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, DreamObjects, Openstack Swift, and email.
- Back up and restore your website data.
- Configuration of automatic backup programs.
- Use fewer server resources.
- Backup to remote storage.
- And much more.
Rating: A total of 4.8 stars out of 5 stars in the WordPress repository. With more than 3,500 five-star ratings.
Active installations: more than 3 million.
Translations: 29 languages.
Paid version of Updraftplus WordPress backup plugin
The paid version has features like:
- Incremental backups.
- 1GB free for UpdraftVault.
- Support for WebDAV, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, SFTP / SCP, Encrypted FTP, and BackBlaze.
- Migrate / clone websites.
- Automatic saving when updating WP / plugins / themes.
- Send backups to multiple remote destinations.
- Restore backups from other plugins.
- And much more.
Price: From $ 70 / year and up to $ 399 / year.
3. JetPack Backups (Formerly VaultPress)
Now, VaultPress is just one part of a much larger sphere: JetPack. Built and maintained by Automattic, JetPack Backup allows you to back up your site, keep it safe, improve speed, and help you reach a wider audience. Here we only list the backup features.
What you get:
- One-Click WordPress Backup Restore
- You can download the full backup or select individual files
- Daily backups with a 30-day archive
- Unlimited disk storage space
- The standalone dashboard that lets you manage everything from one place
The free backup solution gives you access to a number of WordPress security features and uptime monitoring.
- JetPack doesn’t offer you the option to provide HTTP authentication so password protected WordPress site is a problem here.
- The restoration process can sometimes be tricky.
- The main disadvantage is that you must subscribe to JetPack to access the full backup feature.
- VaultPress makes sense if you want to have an all-in-one free backup solution. At the same time, you can end up with many other heavy functions that you don’t need.
How much is it:
Pricing for this plugin starts at $ 39 per year for a personal site and goes up to $ 299 for professional sites.
The BackupBuddy WordPress backup plugin has been around since 2010, protecting around half a million WordPress website customers and cash. It is very easy to configure. But the free version of the plugin won’t get you far. You need to update to access more functions.
What you get:
- Automatic backup features
- Option to choose specific WordPress database files for backup
- WordPress database repair and optimization
- Supports many external storage options
- Site migration
- Fast and easy restoration of your site
- A major advantage of this plugin is that you have access to 1 year of Stash Live, Backup Buddy’s cloud storage solution.
- By default it stores 5 daily, 2 weekly and 1 monthly database backups and 1 full daily, 1 weekly and 1 monthly backup as zip files
- Email notifications when your backups are ready to download
- The process is very simple
- No option for on-demand backups
- There is no option to try the product first
- Again, there is no option to provide HTTP authentication, so if you have a password protected WordPress site, it’s a dead end.
- This does not work on large WordPress sites.
How much does it cost:
Plans start at $ 80 per year for 1 site.
BackWPUp – WordPress Backup Plugin gives you automated backup features for your website.
You can save your entire installation including wp content and upload it to external backup service like Dropbox, S3, FTP and many more.
BackWPup provides excellent, easy-to-follow instructions. It also provides an intuitive control panel. It is very easy to use when setting backup options.
You can not only set a backup destination and send an email yourself, but also options for database backups, file backups, WordPress XML exports, lists of installed plugins and an area of search in database tables.
With this plugin, you will be able to easily restore your WordPress website installation with just one zip file.
What you get:
- Back up WordPress files
- Database backup process
- Supports multisite network
- Fully automatic backup and restore
- Supports various storage options
- Gives you access to log files
BackWPUp free version – WordPress backup plugin
The free version has features such as:
- Full database and file backup.
- Support for multiple sites.
- WordPress XML Export
- Backup to Microsoft Azure
- Backup to Dropbox.
- Backup to S3 services
- Much more.
Rating: 4.4 stars out of 5 stars in the WordPress repository. With over 750 five-star ratings.
Active installations: 700,000.
Translations: 14 languages.
BackWPUp paid version – WordPress backup plugin
The paid version has features such as:
- Backup to Amazon Glacier.
- Backup to Google Drive.
- Backup to OneDrive.
- Backup to HiDrive.
- Restore manually downloaded backup files.
- Restore the backup files from the local server folder.
- Restore the backup files from the FTP server.
- Restore the backup files from DropBox.
- Restore backup files from Google Drive.
- Restore backup files from S3 services.
- Encrypt backup files.
- Restore encrypted backups.
Plans start at $ 69 per year with renewals at $ 39 thereafter. They have 5 levels of plans: Standard, Commercial, Developer, Supreme and Agency.
Knowing that you have a working WordPress backup gives you peace of mind that you can’t buy. You will never lose your entire WordPress site.
This list of the best backup plugins for WordPress was our way of proceeding and helping people like you choose the right plugin.
Your turn. Choose a plugin from our list and save your WordPress website as an insurance policy for your website. You can thank us later!
What is a backup plugin?
Back in the day, most WordPress backup plugins let you store your backup files only on your own server. Now, to improve security, all good WordPress backup plugins support sending your backup files to remote locations such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or Amazon S3.
How to backup WordPress free?
To backup a WordPress site for free, you will first need to install the UpdraftPlus plugin. To do so, open your WordPress dashboard, and select Plugins > Add Plugins from the menu bar. Then type UpdraftPlus into the Search Bar. Select the UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin and click Install Now > Activate.
How do I backup my WordPress site without plugins?
Do a Manual Backup
1. Open file manager. Locate the tool called ‘File Manager’ within cPanel.
2. Find your site’s directory and download your backup. Locate your WordPress site files. They should be under a directory called ‘public_html’.
3. Download your WordPress database. You’re not quite done yet!