Visual Composer is an extremely popular WordPress plugin.
However, there are plenty of other amazing WordPress page builders to choose from, each with their own drag and drop content design version. So, if you’re looking for a great Visual Composer alternative, here are five of the best WordPress page builder plugins to consider.
What Can These Plugins Do?
Visual Composer provides you with the tools to create custom layouts for your WordPress posts and pages, and that’s exactly what these alternatives do as well.
All of these plugins have their own custom page builder interfaces, some of which are easier to use than others. However, with a little effort, you should be able to create unique layouts for your WordPress content in no time and without touching a line of code.
Best Visual Composer Alternatives
Here are the 10 WordPress page builders that I’ll look at – you can click to jump to a specific page builder:
- Beaver Builder
- Divi Builder
- Thrive Architect
- SiteOrigin Page Builder
- WPBakery Page Builder
- Themify Builder
- Visual Composer
- WP Page Builder
The reason Elementor is so popular and deserves to be the alternative to Visual Composer is that it is the first free open source page builder with an advanced level of editing.
It has a quick drag-and-drop page builder that you can use to create instant pages and also edit its built-in templates to create impressive pages. The best part about Elementor is that it has a very high editing speed, which means that it will be very easy and fun for you to create your pages.
Some of the key features are:
- Offers a mobile responsive design
- Extensive template library
- You can create a completely new landing page without footer or header
- It has a built-in maintenance mode that can take your website offline
- Insert your templates anywhere on your website with a little short code
2. Beaver Builder
The plugin comes with a free version but it is limited, and compared to Elementor, the free version of Elementor is much more powerful than the free version of Beaver.
Still, there are a lot of different things about Beaver Builder that make it incredibly useful for users like its 32+ models and the ability to be used on unlimited websites.
Some key features of the plugin are:
- Easy to use drag and drop interface
- The templates are customizable, shareable and reusable.
- It comes with very powerful modules that can even create Q&A and FAQ pages
- Real-time front-end editing
- Create SEO optimized pages
3. Divi Builder
Divi recently introduced its own page builder that can work with any theme as a visual editor. Like Visual Composer, the builder comes with frontend and backend editors.
Although the constructor is a block-based constructor that does not allow the user to see the changes in real time, now with the recent 3.0 update it is a separate live visual editor.
Some of its main characteristics are:
- Comes with frontend and backend constructors
- Has hundreds of models
- Fully responsive editing
- Offers more than 40 articles
- Divi Leads allows you to split tests from different pages
4. Thrive Architect
Thrive Architect, formerly known as Thrive Content Builder, is one of the best visual composition alternatives created with a focus on increasing website conversions.
The page builder is created by the same people behind Thrive Themes, which is a company that sells conversion-oriented themes for WordPress websites. Thrive Architect comes with a drag and drop editing tool and 271 landing page templates, making it easy to design stunning blog pages and posts.
Some of its main features are:
- You can create pages in real time
- You can customize the look of your website page on tablets and mobile devices.
- The whole page can be imported or exported to be used on different websites as well.
- It is equipped with over 34 elements ranging from text to countdown timer, cards and more.
- It works as a standalone builder that can work on any theme without the exclusive element.
5. SiteOrigin Page Builder
One of the most popular WordPress builders, SiteOrigin has over a million active installs, which only contributes to the fact that it is, in fact, an amazing page builder.
One of the great things about SiteOrigin page builder is that you can easily create fully responsive column-based content that will fit all types of devices and different screen resolutions.
Some of the features of SiteOrigin are:
- Works with any WordPress theme.
- Simple drag-and-drop editing, which means no coding is required
- You can make changes in real time
- You can undo and redo your changes through the history browser
- Different styles of lines and widgets.
6. WPBakery Page Builder
Another very popular premium page builder is WPBakery Page Builder, formerly known as Visual Composer. Much of this popularity comes from the fact that WPBakery Page Builder comes with what appears to be 99% of the themes from ThemeForest. But the fact is, it is used on a large number of sites.
Price: $ 64
7. Themify Builder
Themify Builder is unsurprisingly Themify’s page builder offering. Themify includes it with many of its themes to provide customers with easy customization options. But you can also buy it as a standalone plugin and use it with any theme.
Price: Light free version. Pro starts at $ 39 or $ 59 (depending on add-ons)
Released in April 2018, Brizy is one of the “youngest” page builders on this list. But it comes from a well-known developer, ThemeFuse, and it quickly racked up 60,000 active installs. Plus, it just offers a one-size-fits-all approach to some parts of page building, which makes for a great deal.
Developers are also rolling out new features quickly, and Brizy already supports creating themes and pop-ups.
Price: Free basic version. The Pro version starts at $ 49.
9. Visual Composer
A landing page builder that is unequivocally one of the best visual composition alternatives due to its incredibly easy-to-use interface and compatibility with all WordPress themes.
It allows the user to edit the website from the interface, which means that they do not have to stay in the admin panel to make changes. Instead, you can edit everything on the fly and do your editing in real time.
This allows you to create a modernistic page that is sleek and optimized for conversions.
Some features are:
- Contains over 30 different modules, from simple buttons to complicated wallets
- Fully compatible with any WordPress theme
- Create highly responsive websites for desktops, tablets, and mobile devices
- You can use the user access restriction feature to create membership pages
- Provides interactive tutorials to help you learn more.
10. WP Page Builder
WP Page Builder is a new offering from Themeum, an established WordPress developer. So while the plugin itself is new, it comes from a team that has been working in the WordPress space for some time.
Themeum is also creating the Tutor LMS plugin that we reviewed not long ago.
Price: Quite generous free version. The Pro version starts at $ 39.
Which Is The Best WordPress Page Builder?
So which of these 10 page builders should you choose? Well, here’s how the scores stack up (in order):
|Page Builder||Overall (25 is Max)||Interface||Widgets / templates||Styling||Notable features||Lock-in|
|WP Page Builder||19||4||5||4||3||3|
|WPBakery Page Builder||15||3||3||3||3||3|
|SiteOrigin Page Builder||14||3||2||3||2||4|
And personally, this is how I would recommend them to people as well.
There are tons of other visual composer alternatives out there, but the seven mentioned above are the ones that have been tried and tested by tons of people online and have received a majority of positive reviews.
Granted, not all of them will be for you, but there will definitely be a one page builder on this list that you will find very useful for your page building efforts.