It would be very difficult, time consuming, and add additional task to your workload. In fact, I’m pretty sure that audio transcription would be the most time-consuming task on your timeline, and you sure don’t want it.
Anything to try and eliminate that extra work would be ideal, and that’s where the use of transcription software comes in. It does not matter if you want your audios to be converted to text for vlogging, podcasting, education, journalism or any other purpose, the tools that I am going to mention in this article will be of great help.
What is Transcription software?
Transcription software refers to tools that can allow users to convert audio tracks into digital text. There are a large number of automatic transcription tools on the market, with varying levels of precision.
Some transcription services include human transcriptionists in the process to increase the accuracy of the transcribed text. However, selecting the best transcription service isn’t all about accuracy, as I explain in the next section.
Before skipping the list, here are some of the many benefits of audio-to-text transcription:
Help search engines find your content
If you like vlogging and don’t provide subtitles for your videos, you’re missing a good opportunity to get your content out there to more people. Transcribing your video’s audio to text helps YouTube and other search engines analyze your keywords and thus improves your visibility.
Help reach a wider audience by diversifying
The world is full of people with different tastes and preferences, so there is an audience that would rather read than watch a video. By converting your audios to text, you direct them directly and increase your marketing efforts.
Increase the accessibility of your content
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can benefit greatly from a text version of the video or audio. Smartphones and other devices today have accessibility tools for the same purpose, so there is no reason not to implement them. It is literally a win-win situation.
There are many more channels to distribute text than audio, and the fact that text uses less bandwidth makes it even better. If you have a podcast, how-to videos, journalism audios, or any other audio, you can convert it to text and distribute it in various forms such as e-books, emails, online articles, manuals, white papers, etc.
Best Transcription Software in 2022
Here are my top picks for the best transcription software on the market.
1. Happy Scribe
Ideal for transcription and subtitles, Happy Scribe supports over 60 different languages in which you can convert your audio to text. It allows you to bring your team members, such as proofreaders and editors, to the platform and experience a seamless collaboration workflow.
Additionally, you can assign speaker names, build vocabulary, and use its API to sync third-party tools to make the process easier. You can be sure that your transcript will be of high quality, with proper punctuation.
Happy Scribe has a Trustpilot rating of 4.7 / 5 stars which is pretty brilliant for any tool. Their reviews also speak of their service.
The best general-purpose transcription software ($ 1.25 per minute).
Rev.com is an audio or video to text service with an approved group of professional transcriptionists, captioners and translators.
They help you convert your recordings into written text which you can edit, save, and export in many different formats. This system works in conjunction with built-in artificial intelligence tools to ensure accurate error detection.
Is this how it works:
- It will download your audio or video file from your system, or you can even copy and paste the web url.
- One of their professionals (out of a total group of over 60,000) will transcribe your file for you. They offer a 100% guarantee of an accuracy of over 99%.
- Finally, you will receive your transcripts in the form of an editable document. You can also view and edit the document with the built-in editing tools of Rev.
Their standard turnaround time is 12 hours for most cases, less than 30 minutes. They also provide express delivery in about four hours (again, for cases under 30 minutes).
They can even handle audio with background noise, multiple speakers, and various accents. However, keep in mind that they only work with English audios.
Rev.com also allows you to automate downloads with its API or integration with Zapier and other video platforms.
Moreover, you can also request automatic transcriptions if you are in a hurry and want to receive files in five minutes. It works using the concept of speech recognition and there is no human intervention.
Rev also falls under the captioning software category, but it really does a lot more than that, which is why this is my top recommendation for transcription software.
Rev offers tons of services with a transparent pricing structure.
Here are the services (with their cost):
- Transcription – $ 1.25 per minute
- Machine generated draft: 25 cents per minute
- English subtitles: $ 1.25 per minute
- Foreign subtitles – $ 3-7 per minute
Appreciated by companies like Netflix, Disney, and Microsoft, Amberscript offers high-precision video and audio transcription services.
It is a smart tool with AI speech recognition, which allows you to convert audio and videos to text or subtitles. With your online text editor, you or your available human transcriptionists can make the result 100% accurate.
It is up to you whether you want to transcribe automatically through the artificial intelligence tool or with the help of your professional transcriber. If you are looking to do one-off projects, it would be ideal to use the automatic tool, while manual transcription is ideal when you want to do long-term work.
Additionally, Amberscript offers competitive pricing, quick response, and GDPR compliance for security.
Transcribe is a privacy-focused transcription tool suitable for automatically converting audio files to text. Whether you’re listening to podcasts, music, or even an official meeting, you can save time and money and increase productivity levels.
Transcribe comes with a specialized audio player that helps decode the audio. Provides support for the pedals as well as excellent idle performance. The software comes with a dedicated help file that explains all its features.
This service is suitable for professionals who want a clean and private way to transcribe audio. I like the handy keyboard shortcuts that make things like inserting timestamps easy.
In terms of functions, Transcribe allows you to create subtitles for videos and export transcripts as WebVTT or SRT files. They can then be used to caption videos on social media platforms like YouTube or Vimeo.
Here is a list of some essential Transcribe features:
- Automatic text extender for acronyms
- Easy speech to text conversion
- Manual transcription facilities such as pedal integration
- Automatic audio pause and resume
- Easy-to-use browser-based interface
- It works without an internet connection.
- Totally secure and private
Transcript’s pricing plans are very straightforward. It has only two levels: one for automatic transcription and the other for automatic transcription. The following is a brief description of each plan, along with the annual price.
1.Auto-transcription at $ 20 / year
- Media player with integrated editor
- Unlimited dictation
- Automatic text extension
- Manual transcription aids such as integration of footswitches and playback loops
2. Automatic transcription at $ 20 / year + $ 6 / hour of audio
- All the facilities of the self-transcription plan
- Automatic transcription based on machine learning
- Video Subtitle Creation Features
- Speaker identification with automatic time codes
All plans are renewable annually. However, the service does not offer automatic renewal, so you will need to give your explicit consent for the license renewal every year. This saves you money in case you don’t need the service but forget to unsubscribe.
Trint, an AI audio transcription software that can convert your audio to 31 different text languages, is ideal for personal and business use. All you need to do is import the file you need to transcribe and you will have every word converted to text after which you can quickly edit it to be 100% accurate.
Plus, you can add bookmarks, assign speaker names, search for certain words, and even leave reminders via comments on specific sections. Once the final result is processed, you can export it to various formats including Word Doc and CSV. Moreover, it also allows sharing with your team members to facilitate collaboration.
Here is a list of the main features offered by Trint:
- Fast audio-to-text transcription in minutes
- AI-powered transcription helps reduce error rates
- Simple tools for distributing transcripts and content.
- The dedicated iPhone application allows accessibility on the go
- Supports multiple file formats for transcriptions
Trint’s pricing is split across five tiers, and the features you get depend on the plan you choose. Billing is monthly, although I recommend that you follow the annual billing cycle and save 20%.
- Starter plan at $ 48 / month
- Transcribe 84 files per year
- Access to the Trint editor
- Single user access
- Advanced plan at $ 60 / month
- Unlimited daily transcripts
- Access to the Trint editor
- Single user access
- Pro plan at $ 68 / month
- Everything in the advanced plan
- Possibility to create public links
- Collaborative editing features
- Pro Team plan at $ 68 / user / month
- Everything in the Pro plan
- Supports shared workspaces
- Multi-user access (up to ten users)
- Business plan with personalized rates
- Everything in the Pro Team plan
- Dedicated security and reporting features
- Support more than 11 users
Each plan comes with a fair use policy and there are no hidden costs or additional fees. You can even choose to suspend your plan when needed. However, for high volume transcription you will need to contact the company for personalized quotes.
Descript offers high precision and flexible collaboration options for seamless transcription every time. It only costs $ 2 / minute and your work is delivered in just 24 hours. Like the other solutions on this list, Descript keeps your data very private and safe.
Here are some additional features of this tool:
- Synchronization and automatic saving of progress
- Synchronize files from your cloud storage
- Import the transcript already made for free to merge with your media
- Ability to add speaker labels, timestamps, and other customizations
You can register and get started absolutely free to test the features.
Descript provides users with four pricing plans that offer more extensive corresponding functionality. All plans are billed monthly, but you can save up to 20% by paying annually. Here is an overview of each of the plans and their associated benefits.
- Free plan at $ 0 / month
- Save and edit a project
- 20 screen recordings at a maximum resolution of 720p
- Up to three hours of transcription
- Creator Pack at $ 12 / publisher / month
- Unlimited number of projects and screen recordings
- Up to ten hours of transcription per month
- Possibility of exporting the timeline.
- Pro plan at $ 24 / publisher / month
- Overdubbing, filler word removal, and audiograms
- Batch file export capability
- Up to 30 hours of transcription per month
- Business plan at a personalized price
- Single sign-on features
- Dedicated account representative
- Custom integration and training
7. Express Scribe
Available as a PRO version and in addition to the free version, Express Scribe contains everything you need to transcribe audio almost effortlessly. You’d spend a lot less time in the process too, all thanks to keyboard shortcuts and transcription pedal support.
It supports a large number of formats, including encrypted dictation files. You can also load audio files from a CD and work on them while they load.
Once the transcription is complete, the software can automatically send it to your client if you set it up to save you more time.
Express Scribe can be integrated with tools like Microsoft Word, FastFox Text Expander, and even text-to-speech tools.
Express Scribe has a free version that you can download from the official site. It offers most of the necessary functions but with limited support for file formats. To work with proprietary file formats, you can purchase the Pro versions of the tool.
The Pro version of Express Scribe is available in the following two variants:
- $ 70 Express Scribe Professional ($ 49.99 after rebate)
- $ 60 Express Scribe Basic ($ 39.95 after rebate)
You can also choose to bundle other software with the main tool, such as Express Dictate and Express Invoice. The payment of the tool can be made with most cards or through PayPal.
Companies like Zoom, Dropbox, and IBM use Otter for their transcription needs. It allows you to record audio from your phone or use a web browser to transcribe it back then. Instead of a simple transcript, you can add speaker IDs, notes, images, and key phrases, so you don’t waste time using additional third-party tools to make simple enhancements.
You can create a group and add members to facilitate collaboration on your transcripts. Other than that, you can save some time in the process by:
- Search for keywords and jump to them directly in the transcript.
- Speed up playback or skip points of silence to jump straight to the main speech
- Train Otter to recognize certain voices for quick references in the future
Once you have signed up, you will get 600 minutes of free transcription to work with. Pretty irresistible i would say
Whether you prefer to use software or a transcription service, the solutions above cover the best of both worlds. I’m sure automating this task will take a lot of weight off you no matter which solution you choose.
Is there an auto transcription software?
If you are looking for an affordable automatic transcription software that is stacked with features that enable you to transcribe audio and video files in minutes then Sonix is the right choice for you. This web-based application needs three to four minutes to transcribe a 30-minute audio or video recording.
Is there a program that will transcribe audio to text?
For the rest of us, there’s finally a transcribing solution. It’s free, easy, and requires no fancy apps, AI, or downloads—just Google Docs. Docs, Google’s free, cloud-based response to Microsoft Word, has a dictation software tool called Voice Typing (it comes pre-installed and requires no plugins).
How long does it take you to transcribe one hour of audio?
Approximately four hours
When it comes to individual transcribers, the average time to transcribe one hour of audio is approximately four hours. But, some transcribers quote four hours as the minimum since it can easily reach 10 hours. Transcription time by audio hour varies so much mostly because each audio file is different.