When people read 90 percent of all text in three minutes, SMS marketing is one of the best ways to connect with your audience. And not only is there a high probability that your message will be seen, text messages also receive a 36% click-through rate.
Choosing an SMS platform can be difficult. Many platforms come with dozens of features and not all are created equal.
It’s important to choose a platform that helps you meet your business goals by having the ability to track return on investment (ROI), personalize messaging, and segment your audiences.
Plus, by using a unified marketing platform that brings email and text messages together under one roof, you can more effectively develop your automations and more accurately measure your campaign performance.
What is SMS marketing software?
An SMS marketing platform (sometimes referred to as an SMS marketing service) is a tool used to create and send text messages to a specific list of phone numbers.
You can use text messages to send anything from flash sale notifications to shipping confirmation emails, stock notification text messages, abandoned cart text messages, and more.
Most also allow you to send automated text messages and campaigns triggered based on a buyer’s actions, such as signing up for text alerts or requesting additional product information.
SMS marketing software is used for:
Best SMS Marketing Software in 2022:
FrontlineSMS has been used by various universities, NGOs, and charities since 2005 to engage with the communities they need to reach. From American farmers to wheelchair users in Indonesia, this SMS marketing tool has helped reach people for multiple campaigns, collect research, and support people. It is a perfect combination of automation and logic that helps to send text messages to mobile phones with one click.
- Can automatically reply to SMS and missed calls
- Allows you to add a contact to a group with a single missed call
- Allows easy registration and unsubscription of contacts.
- Whenever an SMS is received, you can send a personalized email to the sender.
- Records details of inbound interactions in the sender’s record
- You can conduct polls and surveys for market research.
- Can connect to another web service
- Allows you to send SMS from a web service
- You can segment incoming messages into different folders based on content
2 . Jasmin Gateway
Jasmin Gateway is open source SMS marketing software with several enterprise class features. It is designed to be easily customized so that it can work according to the requirements of any business. It is based on robust message routing algorithms and makes it easy to define rule-based routing based on certain criteria, such as sender’s IP address, source and destination, and many similar combinations. . This SMS marketing software works on the automatic reconnection and redirection mechanism and thus is able to handle peak hours and link failover for high availability services.
It is written using Python and the Twisted framework and its web backend is written in Django, so it is capable of providing advanced tools to manage and monitor SMS transmissions.
- Based on SMPP client / server and HTTP client / server
- Uses AMQP agent for storage and transfer mechanisms
- Provides flexible filling support
- Includes web user interface for management
- You can send multilingual SMS using Unicode (UTF-8/18)
- You can create and send specialized / binary SMS like mono ringtones, WAP Push, Vcards
- Can support long SMS contents
- Supports advanced message routing like Simple & Static, Roundrobin, Failover, Leastcost
- Allows advanced message filtering using EvalPyFilter
Kannel is open source SMS marketing software that runs on a WAP infrastructure and is available free to anyone. It is based on a BSD-type license, thus giving developers maximum freedom in terms of software customization. It is a comprehensive Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) gateway that supports a maximum number of operators with particular emphasis on SMSC support.
- Can work as a catwalk for pulling and pushing
- Can handle 7-bit, 8-bit and Unicode data
- Can generate delivery reports
- Has the ability to handle hundreds of messages per second on an average workstation
- It has the ability to send operator logos, WAP SI messages, ring tones, OTA settings, etc.
- Support SMS hub protocols such as CIMD 1.3, CIMD 2.0, SMPP 3.4, UCP / EMI 4.0. Also: SEMA SMS2000 OIS protocol for SMS centers on Radiopad and X.25.
- Uses GMS phones and GSM modems
- You can connect different HTTP based content gateways
- Works as an aggregator
TextMagic is a UK based SMS company with over 14 years of experience helping businesses improve mobile communication and marketing by sending and receiving text messages online.
TextMagic is a corporate text messaging service that allows you to send SMS notifications, alerts, reminders, and marketing messages to your customers.
With TextMagic, you can send bulk text messages online through your desktop, browser, or mobile apps. They also offer two-way conversations with customers. You can even send and receive SMS by email.
TextMagic also provides API gateways and Zapier integrations, as well as a team sharing feature to automate and optimize your SMS strategies. You can also keep track of your leads and their overall reach through its reporting and analytics features.
ClickSend enables organizations to send thousands of text messages from anywhere in the world without downloading proprietary software. Users can send bulk text messages through their SMS service provider or even through their email accounts.
Users can manage different digital marketing campaigns through cloud-based application, switch email, SMS, fax, and even non-SMS channels like Facebook and WhatsApp while on the go. While these options make ClickSend a much more robust service, it is probably best suited for seasoned developers and marketers.
ClickSend provides APIs to allow integrations to make its services compatible with third-party applications and programs. Tasks like event management, customer support, and general reminders are simplified with ClickSend functionality, making life much easier for many marketing agencies and companies.
Small businesses need SMS marketing software as much as any other business. Salesmsg adapts to small businesses to ensure they have the tools they need to reach their customers.
While Salesmsg’s user interface doesn’t look impressive, its quality comes from its simplicity and integrability with other applications. Salesmsg can generate new numbers for companies to contact their customers through landlines and local phone services, providing an unlimited number of contacts and predefined responses.
You can set up automatic replies outside of business hours while scheduling specific messages to be sent during the day. The Salesmsg application allows users to import contacts while including a call forwarding feature that forwards all calls made to your company to your phone or landline.
Best of all, Salesmsg allows users to integrate its functions with thousands of other applications using Zapier. This means more automation and generally easier for small businesses to manage their reach.
RapidSMS is free, open source SMS marketing software that can quickly create SMS (text messages) for group coordination, data collection, and complex workflow optimization. It has been customized and implemented with different causes such as supply chain monitoring, nutritional surveillance, community chat, remote health diagnosis, etc. It was designed to overcome the challenges faced by governmental and non-governmental organizations such as slow data collection, limited infrastructure, etc.
- Allows you to send SMS and MMS to groups and masses
- Ability to manage subscribers
- Allows you to import the address book
- Can manage contacts
- Manage sender identification
- Provide excellent customer support
XtraBulk is a PHP web application that can send bulk SMS to groups. You can host this software on your server and connect it seamlessly to any HTTP SMS API. XtraBulk SMS is fast, reliable, and lightweight software that you can install on any Linux server without changing server-side configuration and installation. It can even run on shared hosting.
- Allows two-way SMS (users can reply to received SMS directly)
- It allows you to create SMS keywords and set actions like subscribe, unsubscribe, send email, forward message, etc.
- You can send personalized SMS in bulk
- Includes an easy to use interface
- Allows you to create unlimited contact groups
- Allows you to import unlimited number of contacts from CSV and TXT files
- Includes queue delivery system with start / pause option
- It has the ability to send long SMS over 160 characters for English and 70 characters for Unicode
- Provides a detailed reporting system that can be exported in CSV, XLS and XML format
- You can integrate 8 payment gateways, including Paypal, Stripe, Skril, etc.
Almost everyone has a cell phone and texting works well with the most basic cell phone model to the most advanced smartphone. This in itself makes SMS marketing the most powerful way to reach your target audience. Sending messages to the masses at the same time manually is almost impossible and therefore companies are looking for a well-equipped SMS marketing software that can help to send their text messages to their subscribers without any mistakes.
We hope the list of these 8 free and open source SMS marketing software and popular software helped you choose the best one for your business. You can also check out the complete list of SMS marketing software that can help you make the right choice. If you have used any of the SMS marketing software mentioned above, please leave your valuable feedback here.
Is SMS marketing illegal?
In order to protect consumers from receiving a barrage of unsolicited text messages, SMS marketing is regulated under US law. Subsequently, marketers are obligated to follow certain codes of practice otherwise you will face hefty penalties.
How can I send free SMS to customers?
How to Send Bulk SMS with Free Bulk SMS Sender
1. Compose your message to be sent through bulk SMS free apps.
2. Add recipients by selecting the number from your contacts.
3. Type the message you want to convey to your target customers in the message box.
4. Preview your message & hit the send button! It’s that simple.
When should I use SMS marketing?
Use SMS to determine engagement with your business, to remind customers about your brand and reward your key supporters. Integrate SMS with your email campaigns and your ecommerce. Use SMS as a customer support or feedback tool as it’s easier to work with than a long survey.