If you want to know how to get verified on Instagram, you have come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to request an Instagram verification (this is the easiest part) and give you some tips to help you qualify (this is the hardest part).
Don’t have time to read? Watch the video for our top tips to help you get that coveted blue Instagram verification badge.
What does Instagram verification mean?
Instagram verification is how you prove that your Instagram account is the genuine presence of a notable public figure, celebrity, or global brand.
You’ve probably seen a lot of verification badges. As with Twitter, Facebook, and, yes, Tinder, the little blue check marks are meant to indicate that the platform has confirmed that the account in question is trustworthy, or at least that they are who they claim to be.
These badges are designed to make real accounts stand out, so Instagram users can be sure they are following the right person or brand. They’re easy to spot in search results and profiles, and they’re authoritative.
It’s easy to see why verification credentials are also a coveted status symbol. They are rare and exclusivity confers a certain prestige, which may or may not translate into a better compromise.
That said, it’s clear to Instagram that verified accounts (just like business accounts) don’t get any special treatment from the Instagram algorithm. In other words, if it’s true that verified accounts get higher engagement on average, it’s because they post great content that resonates with their audience.
Who can be verified on Instagram?
Anyone can request a verified badge on Instagram. However, Instagram is notoriously fussy (and in many ways mysterious) about who is actually verified. So if you are managing an account that is on the verge of being “remarkable”, how do you know if you meet the criteria?
Just because you have a blue check mark on Twitter or Facebook, for example, does not mean that you will get one on Instagram.
Instagram is blunt and says that “only certain public figures, celebrities and brands have verified badges on Instagram.” In other words: “You only have a high probability of being cheated on.
This is what we know about eligibility.
- Genuine – Does your account represent a real person, a registered company, or a brand? You cannot be a meme page or a fan account.
- Unique: Only one account per person or business can verify Instagram, except for specific language accounts.
- Public: Private Instagram accounts are not eligible for verification.
- Full: Do you have a full bio, profile picture, and at least one post?
- Notable: This is where things get subjective, but Instagram defines a notable name as one that is “well known” and “highly sought after.”
If you’re relatively confident that you meet these criteria, or you just feel like rolling the dice, it’s time to go ahead and get your Instagram account verified.
Can you get an Instagram verification badge without being famous?
The good news is: you can!
As long as you can check off all of the criteria listed above and provide proof of “brand awareness” (ie showing that the person, brand, organization, publication or mascot representing your account is d ‘public interest), you can be verified on Instagram. Technically, the number of subscribers is not a criterion for Instagram verification.
Helpful Tips for Getting Verified on Instagram
Whether or not you follow the Instagram verification steps above, don’t worry.
There are a few other initiatives you can take to increase your chances of getting verified on Instagram, and at the very least, these are great tips for being successful on Instagram in general.
1. Create your other social profiles
Building a large following on other platforms can help make your Instagram account particularly authentic.
For example, we have seen strong links between Twitter and newspaper ads. Use this to your advantage! When your name appears in the news or in the media, use this exposure to build your social profiles and followers.
How to get more followers on Instagram and other platforms? Try these tips:
- Develop your personality with a consistent voice and theme – Many brands try an engaging approach to connecting with their audience. However, it is much easier to establish a strong bond with people if you show your unique voice online.
- Post frequently and consistently – With any social network, the more active you are, the more likely you are to convince people to engage with your account.
- Develop great content: Just as you would post great photos on Instagram to enhance your audience, you should also develop relevant content for your other channels. Find out what your followers want from you and meet their needs.
2. Look for copycat profiles
While pretending your identity is in jeopardy may sound a bit like a crying wolf, this advice actually comes straight from Instagram:
“Accounts representing well-known personalities and brands are verified, as they have a high probability of being forged. “
Your verified badge distinguishes you as the one and only. Increase the trust of your followers by letting them know that they are not following a random copycat. People want to know that you are following the real deal.
Letting Instagram know that you are at risk of being misled can propel them into action.
3. Stay active in your account
It may seem obvious, but Instagram will probably never verify it if you are not actively using the platform. When admins come to see if Instagram is worth checking out, they’ll look for regular activity. If you are not using the platform, there is no benefit to starting the verification process.
It also goes the other way around. What is the verification point if you are not active on Instagram? To improve your chances of getting that verified blue Instagram badge:
- Stock up on great photos: Instagram is all about aesthetics. Influencers gain a following because they know how to woo their audience. Find out what your followers like to see on your page and get snapshots.
- Take advantage of insights: Go to your Instagram business page and use your insights to schedule content that resonates with the people in your feed. Make sure to post when your followers are most active. Use third-party tools like Sprout Social to learn more about your social followers and fine-tune your campaigns.
- Engage with your audience: Don’t forget to take time to reply to comments, like posts, and explore relevant hashtags. Engagement is key on any social platform.
4. Boost your earned media
Do you want Instagram to give you that seal of approval? Show them it’s worth it.
Google yourself to see what’s going on. Any? Please correct that, because if you don’t have a widely recognized brand, there is nothing to verify.
Remember, it is not an algorithm that decides who should have a blue button on their Instagram account. Real people review each request manually and probably go to search engines like Google to see what shows up for external credibility.
Ultimately, figuring out how to get verified on Instagram involves working before you apply.
It’s tough, but that’s why verification credentials are so sought after.
How to apply to get verified on Instagram: 6 steps
The verification process on Instagram is actually quite simple:
- Go to your profile and tap the hamburger icon in the top right corner
- Tap Settings
- Tap Account
- Tap Request Verification
- Fill in the application form.
- Your legal name
- Your “known as” or working name (if applicable)
- Select your category or industry (for example: blogger/influencer, sports, news/media, business/brand/organization, etc.)
- You also need to submit a photo of your official government ID. For individuals, that could be a driver’s license or passport. For businesses, a utility bill, an official business document, or tax filings will do.
- Tap Send.
According to Instagram, once your team reviews your request, you will receive a response under the Notifications tab. Due to historical and ongoing issues with scammers, Instagram is very clear that they will never email you, ask for money, or communicate in any way.
In a few days or a week, you will receive a direct yes or no. No comments or explanations.
This is what a no looks like:
And here’s a yes, break out the bubbly:
Checking Instagram takes a lot of planning and effort, so make sure you have a good reason before you start. Fortunately, verification has many benefits, ranging from better brand credibility to a stronger presence in social searches.
IG verification sets you apart and makes it easy to reach the people who matter most to you. If used correctly, it makes you more trustworthy on social media and increases your conversion rates. All you have to do is prove yourself worthy of it.
How do you get a blue check on Instagram?
How many followers do you need to be verified on Instagram?
Only verified users could use it. It doesn’t matter how many followers they have. If you want to get this feature – you have to have at least 10k followers; verified users don’t.