Our Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) software reviews are the result of more than 40 hours of research with over 100 EDI software companies on the web. These reviews and our guide to EDI software help small businesses and startups find the best EDI software for their business.
What is EDI software?
EEDI software is a solution that allows data sharing between different devices. It is used to transfer documents between business partners. After selecting the data to be transferred, the EDI software extracts it, primarily from an ERP system, and translates it into a standardized format that the recipient can see.
EDI software includes security features that ensure sensitive data is protected during the process. The software supports automatic document transfer, speeding up the process and minimizing potential human errors. It also enables the automation and scheduling of data transfers.
EDI software enables faster transfer of business documents within a company or between business partners such as customers and suppliers. Translates common file types into a unified format or provides templates for the standard format used for transfers. This simplifies daily communications and the transfer of documents in an organization or business.
Businesses are implementing EDI software to eliminate the need for fax, email, and mail in their facilities. EDI software is primarily used in conjunction with a data integration platform that collects data from various sources, on-premises or in the cloud.
Benefits of EDI software
EDI software offers a number of benefits to users, including:
- Reduced Costs – EDI software helps reduce the costs associated with creating and managing documents. It costs money to create, print, package and send documents. You also need to make a second copy for the padding. The software saves you money on labor and materials.
- Faster Business Transactions – It is easier and faster to send documents via EDI than by fax or e-mail. It takes even longer if you use postal mail. EDI software allows you to quickly share business documents.
- Reduced human errors – When using EDI software, you no longer need personnel to handle or manipulate a document. This helps reduce errors that can interfere with business transactions. Two examples are transposing numbers and bad writing.
- Improve efficiency and productivity: Implementing EDI software makes it easier for your employees to manage repetitive tasks. This ensures that your employees are focused on other essential tasks, thus increasing productivity and efficiency. In addition, faster document transfer allows users to respond to customer needs faster. Increasing the speed of business transactions is one of the main advantages of EDI software.
Essential functions of EDI software
While exchanging documents electronically may seem straightforward, there are many steps to complete the process. To achieve this smoothly, here are some of the essential features that EDI software should offer:
- Translation: The software must be able to translate the formatted data into human readable language.
- Mapping – This feature helps users format transactions and share data for other business areas, such as another ERP system or your accounting department.
- Security: When transmitting data electronically, it is essential to ensure that the process is secure. EDI software facilitates data transfer between users over secure networks, encrypted and hybrid data.
- Integration – As your business grows, you should seamlessly integrate new EDI business partners. The ideal software should allow you to use predefined templates to quickly connect with your partners. The EDI software you choose should also include training materials that make it easy to add new partners to the system.
- ERP and Supply Chain Management (SCM) Integration – The software should integrate seamlessly with your existing software, including your ERP and SCM systems. Otherwise you will need someone to format and edit
The cost of EDI software
Most EDI providers do not provide pricing information for their products to the public. This means you need to contact a supplier directly for a personalized quote. However, there are two main types of pricing packages, depending on the specifics of the software.
You may be billed per transaction or a monthly fee for unlimited transactions. Several EDI software service providers offer one-time installation fees to connect the platform to your existing business systems. Depending on the specific features you need, you can expect to pay anywhere from $ 1 to $ 3 per transaction.
Additionally, you have the option of choosing cloud-based or on-premise EDI software. The former gives you more control over the platform. With local software, you can enforce your company’s IT security policies within the system, such as limiting access to only authorized employees or allowing the software to run behind your company’s firewall.
You also have more options for integrating the software with other systems in your business, such as ERP, accounting, and material management. However, your employees will need more technical knowledge to operate and maintain the system. With an on-premises EDI solution, you can expect to pay a minimum of $ 1,995 as a one-time payment for a software license.
Cloud-based EDI software is easier to use and more cost effective. When the solution is cloud-based, the provider takes care of the installation, updates and maintenance of the software. This means that the initial investment is relatively low compared to a local solution. However, EDI data security for cloud-based software is limited to what the vendor offers. In addition, the level of control and the ability to integrate with your existing systems vary by vendor. The price for cloud-based EDI software starts at around $ 350 per month.
Overall, EDI software is a valuable asset for any business looking to improve operational efficiency and reduce costs. These benefits often outweigh the cost of purchasing and maintaining the software.
Best EDI Software
Here’s a list of the best EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) software to use this year.
JSCAPE is best for securely managing your file transfers and EDI workflows.
JSCAPE MFT server supports protocols such as FTP / S, AS2, OFTP, SFTP and HTTP / S, among others. Any protocol can be used to create the IDE, but the use of non-proprietary file transfer protocols is the most common. JSCAPE MFT provides the functionality to automate the EDI exchange based on calendar or server events without any human interaction.
JSCAPE offers various solutions such as MFT, ad hoc file transfer, DLP, etc.
JSCAPE offers software and services for managed file transfer. It offers solutions for ad hoc file transfer, AS2 server, automated file transfer, mobile file transfer, etc.
- The JSCAPE MFT server has both scheduled and event-based data transfer capabilities.
- You can set rules to retry and resume failed data transfers.
- You will be able to track data transfers and user activity with a full audit trail.
- Simple integrations available to meet Amazon AS2 server requirements.
Verdict: JSCAPE is the provider of managed file transfer software and services and is used in various industry sectors such as medical and banking. It mainly focuses on automation, security and reliability. Its historical logs help you track data transfers and user activity. JSCAPE MFT Server supports commonly used non-proprietary file transfer protocols.
JSCAPE offers a full 7-day free trial of its MFT / EDI Server software. They also provide a personalized demo and personalized quotes. Business features are included at all levels of the plan.
Best for securely moving the data inside and outside the organization.
GoAnywhere is enterprise file transfer software that supports multiple encryption platforms, protocols, and standards. GoAnywhere’s managed file transfer solution will easily centralize and secure file transfers. Its new and improved IDE can translate and move X12, EDIFACT and XML files. Offers the ability to automate batch file transfer.
- GoAnywhere provides the functionality to move files automatically. You can implement your designed workflows and schedule transfers.
- Its file encryption features will protect files from internal and external risks.
- GoAnywhere offers out-of-the-box cloud connectors to integrate with applications such as Salesforce and SharePoint.
- It supports deployment in the cloud, your cloud platform or MFTaaS.
Verdict: GoAnywhere MFT is a secure platform for moving data anywhere, in any environment and application. It simplifies data transfer processes and adapts to your needs. It offers extensive MFT functionality, secure collaboration, file transfer, high availability, automation, and more.
GoAnywhere offers a free trial. You can get a quotation to know the details of the price. The solution is available in different editions, Premium, Enterprise, Starter Bundle, Core Server Bundle and Collaboration Bundle. You can also provide specialized options like EDI Enterprise.
3. Software AG
Best for automating B2B processes end to end.
Software AG is an IoT and business integration platform. Software AG’s B2B integration platform has capabilities to automate end-to-end B2B business processes.
It can be used to automate B2B processes such as SAP and Oracle, as well as EDI, XML and AS2. Software AG offers three B2B integration products, WebMethods.io B2B, webMethods Trading Networks and webMethods ActiveTransfer.
- Software AG supports various EDI standards such as UNEDIFACT, X12, EANCOM, ODETTE, RosettaNet and SWIFT.
- WebMethods.io B2B will facilitate the exchange of B2B documents in the cloud.
- It offers features such as the automation of partner transactions and the use of EDI or RosettaNet®.
- The platform will allow you to send and receive files securely inside and outside the organization without any file size limitation.
Verdict: Software AG offers the tools to transfer B2B documents to the cloud. By using the Software AG platform, you will be able to maintain multiple B2B systems without paying additional maintenance and license fees.
You can get a quotation to know the details of the price. A free trial is available for the products.
Best for EDI mapping and API integration.
Cleo is an integration platform that will help you modernize the IDE. It is intended for all integration use cases such as B2B / EDI integration, file-based integration, application integration, etc. Offers the ability to connect to any existing application or business partner. It provides features such as business process automation, compatibility with any standard and format, and real-time visibility.
- Cleo is a self-service, intuitive design platform that will allow you to build and implement integrations.
- You can offer the ease of an EDI managed services team that can design and build your integration.
- You can customize your use case by combining EDI software expertise and business knowledge.
Verdict: Cleo integration platforms offer functionality for EDI automation, EDI compliance, EDI outsourcing and EDI modernization. Cleo’s integration experts will provide the right solution to meet your integration needs. It offers the solution to modernize integration, consolidate systems or quickly integrate into your ecosystem.
You can get a quotation to know the details of the price.
5. SPS Commerce Fulfillment
Best for centralizing the transaction process (Quote-based).
SPS Commerce Fulfillment is EDI software that helps you maintain a centralized way to share information between businesses. It is cloud-based software that allows you to connect, optimize, and stay up to date on all purchases and deliveries.
EDI software is suitable for all types of businesses including retail, e-commerce, distributors, logistics, grocery, etc.
Standard features include mass invoicing, order processing, real-time tracking, automated data entry, and more. It also keeps your accounting documents and tools, including orders, invoices, and shipping notices, in one easy-to-find center.
Native integrations with over 200 pre-built tools for ERP, TMS or other applications are another advantage. These integrations help you analyze data, improve automation, speed up processes, and more.
Here are some of the most important features of SPS Commerce Fulfillment:
- Predefined data visualization tools.
- Receive a notification as soon as your reseller places an order.
- One-on-one customer service chat in the app.
- Auto fill function to save time and keystrokes.
- Ad hoc reports on retail data trends and forecasts.
- Collect data in various formats like spreadsheets, APIs, raw data files, etc.
- Every task completed in the process is “checked” to avoid confusion.
- AI-powered transparency allows order status to be accessed from any device.
- Your computer automatically updates your panel with the changed specifications.
- Real-time order tracking functionality provides transparency during transactions.
- The live workflow feature displays retailer requirements and avoids errors.
- Centralize the entire transaction process, including invoices, emails, and shipping details.
The automated data classification feature also ensures that the data is automatically mapped to the correct fields. Additionally, the tool helps you clean up collected data, assess retail trends, and validate that data.
Contact the supplier for pricing based on a quote. You also receive on-demand product training and a free demo, including a full order fulfillment experience with sample mapping.
6. TrueCommerce EDI
Best for enhancing connectivity within sales channels (Quote-based).
TrueCommerce EDI is an electronic data exchange platform that helps you do business globally and connect it across the supply chain. It also provides automated connections to marketplaces like Walmart, Amazon, etc. to speed up and optimize your business.
TrueCommerce offers EDI solutions to streamline your order fulfillment, improve transaction transparency, and reduce your order-to-cash cycle. It also comes with an automated service to check all your documents, reducing manual costs and processing time.
It also allows you to integrate multiple channels to increase accuracy, eliminate manual data entry, etc. Key integrations include Oracle Netsuite, QuickBooks, Sage, SAP, Microsoft Dynamics, Acumatica, and Oracle.
Here is a list of the main features of TrueCommerce EDI:
- Web-based EDI translator to format all your EDI transactions.
- Convert raw data into error-free business documents including purchase orders, invoices, etc.
- A platform to connect your suppliers, customers and business channels.
- EDI mapping tables to synchronize your company’s system conventions with your audience.
- Expand your business and connectivity by accessing the database of business partners (over 92,000 business partners).
TrueCommerce EDI allows you to exchange data with your suppliers even if they do not have an EDI platform. Support all formats, like XML, CSV, etc. In addition, it allows EDI providers to acknowledge receipt of orders, create ASNs (Advanced Shipping Notices), send invoices, etc.
Access to real-time business analytics is also useful for managing business inventories. Analysis and reporting functions also make it easy to track information and update orders and status online.
Price details are not available. There is also a free demo to give you an overview of the tool.
7. MuleSoft Anypoint Platform
Best for managing multiple trading networks simultaneously (Quote-based).
MuleSoft Anypoint Platform is API-based cloud EDI software that enhances business connectivity, optimizes and creates an integrated environment. It helps you keep track of all purchases and shipments and organizes them in one easy to access place.
The software adapts to the present and future needs of the merchant according to his specifications. You can also connect your legacy assets to SaaS technologies without hampering your existing business.
MuleSoft allows you to share and receive data using various specific B2B EDI formats like X12, EDIFACT, Tradacoms, RosettaNet, etc. It also supports standard transport protocols, such as AS2, FTPS, SFTP, and HTTP / S.
Some of its main features include:
- Reports and analyzes.
- API lifecycle management.
- EDI tests (electronic data interchange).
- Accelerate onboarding of trading partners with pre-built integration templates.
- Application development and connectivity management.
- Design new custom APIs or use existing APIs.
- Get real-time updates on all your transactions from any device, anytime.
- Helps you categorize invoices, shipments, etc. to reduce costs and avoid manual errors.
- Transparent visibility of the entire process simplifies the management of your partners.
It also helps you manage and track performance to ensure transaction compliance with partner performance SLAs (service level agreements).
In addition, MuleSoft Anypoint offers the DataWeave data language, specially designed by MuleSoft for data integration. It helps you integrate real-time or batch messaging and transform EDI messages to connect to back-end or cloud systems.
The MuleSoft Anypoint platform comes with three pricing plans namely Gold, Platinum and Titanium. You should contact the supplier for exact pricing details. It also offers a 30-day free trial license.
How we choose the best EDI software
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) software is a valuable tool that simplifies the process of sharing information in the business world. There are currently dozens of such software on the market that offer different features and functionality, making it difficult to choose the ideal solution for a particular business environment or operation. If you are looking for this type of solution, we have put together a list of the 15 best EDI software to make the selection process faster and easier. We’ve compiled our list taking into account the factors most important to businesses, including Compliance with Statement of Applicability 2 (AS2), improving information flow, and reporting.
AS2 is one of the data transport methods, which makes it a must have feature for EDI software. This method ensures that data transfer over the Internet is safe and reliable. Creates an “envelope” for data, ensuring it is transferred securely using encryption and digital certificates. It also offers an extra layer of protection. In our research, we looked at AS2 compliant EDI software. With AS2, you can easily find out if you have sent a document successfully through the status message called MDN or message disposition notification.
Improve the flow of information.
Our criteria included EDI software with modules that improve information flow. Features such as EDI testing, alerts / notifications, and rule-based workflows enable users to improve information flow and make their business more efficient. These features ensure the standardization and automation of data in the supply chain. They improve communication within your company and between your business partners. This is not possible with traditional communication models.
We recommend EDI software that offers robust reporting functionality as it allows the user to easily identify discrepancies in their data. Detailed reports are essential in guiding executives in making data-driven business decisions. Improving data quality ensures that customers and employees have access to accurate and objective information. Reporting functions help eliminate data entry errors, as documents generated by EDI software are accurate.
EDI servers are used by various industries to automate the exchange of data including health care records, invoices, etc. Electronic data exchange can be done using any protocol such as FTP / S, AS2, SFTP, etc. Managed file transfer providers like JSCAPE support all of these non-proprietary file transfer protocols.
JSCAPE is our most recommended solution. Provides features and benefits to automate EDI exchange based on server and scheduled events, resuming failed transfers, and historical records. It offers free EDI software through its 7-day free trial. This leading provider of managed file transfer solutions offers software and services focused primarily on automation, security, compliance and reliability.
We hope this in-depth review of the best EDI software will help you choose the right solution for your business.
Which company makes EDI software?
“The Dell Boomi EDI platform gives you unmatched flexibility, scale, and visibility for seamless transactions with suppliers, manufacturers, distributors or retailers.
What is the cost of EDI software?
One time setup fee – no cost, flat rate or up to $750 per trading partner. Subscription fee – from $25 to several hundred dollars per month depending upon transaction volume. No subscription fee for vendors who offer blocks of transactions. Seasonal users may not be required to pay the fee during their off-season.
What is EDI example?
Thousands of standard business transaction documents can be spent automatically with EDI. Common examples include purchase orders (EDI 850), shipping statuses (EDI 214), invoices customs information, payment confirmations (EDI 820), and inventory documents. … EDI uses a range of secure protocols for document exchange.