With the continuous process of digitization, people want to reduce their paperwork and expect to have access to their important documents from anywhere and at any time.
Document management systems are the best solution to make this task much easier. PDF readers are the best example of document management system through which you can access PDF file offline and store it for viewing and even print and publish anytime and anywhere.
Document management systems are also known as content management system and are widely regarded as the component of enterprise content management (ECM). It is related to records management, workflows, digital asset management, etc.
What is document management?
Document management can be defined as the means used by organizations to manage and track electronic documents.
Guidelines for a better understanding of records management:
- Simultaneous but separate document editing to avoid overwriting conflicts.
- To revert to the exact last version of the document in the event of an error.
- Version control to differentiate between two different versions.
- Reconstruction of documents.
Today, document management is available from a small stand-alone application to large-scale, enterprise-wide configurations with built-in standard document filling functionality.
These features include:
- Storage location
- Access control and security
- Audit and indexation
- Classification, search and retrieval
- Integration with the desktop application
Document management systems
Document management systems refer to the management and access to documents electronically.
Enterprise content management systems manage and control digital documents created with Microsoft Office suite and accounting software such as CAD etc.
The electronic document management system must contain the following elements to be effective:
- Import: To open a new document in the system.
- Storage: to keep system files and use storage.
- Identity: Accurately retrieve documents by assigning indexes.
- Export: to delete items from the system.
- Security: password protection on certain files for authorized users.
Most popular document management systems
Let’s review some of the most popular document management systems that are widely used to reduce paper documentation and improve the performance of an organization’s documents.
|Local File System Sync||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|File Conflict Management||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Digital Rights Management||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Cloud Storage Without Local File System Sync||No||No||No||No||N/A|
|Platforms||Windows, Mac, iOS||Windows, Linux, Mac||Webapp, iOS or Android||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android||Web App, Windows|
Templafy is a document management system that helps companies optimize tasks. This software automatically displays the most relevant content for each employee based on job title and usage. It allows you to manage content from a simple dashboard.
Templafy allows you to connect all DMS data directly to documents. Provides a faster workflow for creating business documents. This application ensures that all documents created through DMS are stored properly.
- Provides easy access to relevant business content from within the document.
- It enables you to create accurate content quickly.
- Automatically correct content inconsistencies with one mouse click.
- You can integrate this tool with Dropbox, Salesforce, Box, G Suite, etc.
- You can log in and combine the appropriate data from the DMS.
- This cloud storage software allows you to access documents from tablets and smartphones.
Price : on demand
2. Zoho Projects
Zoho Projects is a document management and collaboration tool created by Zoho. This software helps you plan your projects, assign tasks and communicate effectively. It allows you to combine documents, charts, video clips, reports, spreadsheets in one place.
Zoho Projects lets you share files from your organization with other people. It also helps you keep track of the versions of your documents. This tool allows you to search for files using the words written in the content or title and instantly see the result.
- Anyone working on a project can record their billable and non-billable hours using timesheets.
- It allows you to create a problem and track it as it is fixed and tested.
- The team will always have access to the latest version of all project documents.
- It easily integrates with third-party applications such as Google, Zapier, GitHub, Dropbox.
- It has good reviews from customers.
3 . eFileCabinet
eFileCabinet is the renowned document management software for accounting, HR, insurance and legal firms. You can conveniently organize, capture, scan and approve your business document with this software. It is the best software that manages business processes for you. You can archive and index documents through this software; it also offers an electronic signature function for your files and documents. It is also suitable for integration with third-party software.
EFileCabinet Document Management Features: Collaboration Tools, Compliance Monitoring, Document Archiving, Document Indexing, Document Retention, Electronic Signature, File Recovery, File Type Conversion, Offline Access, Optical Character Recognition, version control
Price: $ 55 / month
Bitrix24 is a collaborative document management tool for small and large teams. This software is available both in the cloud and on premises with access to the source code. It allows you to place documents, presentations and videos to download or use for private purposes.
Bitrix24 manages the version of the previous documents. It allows you to edit the files on your PC without any problem. This application can be integrated with external online storage sites like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.
- This digital filing system is fully customizable.
- Employees in your organization can download personal account files.
- Helps you create a custom workflow for draft quotes and contract reviews.
- Bitrix24 allows you to open documents using OpenOffice and MS Office.
- Automatically save your documents in Bitrix24 account.
- Offers a demo of Bitrix24 upon request.
Samepage is the industry leader in collaboration software. It is document management software where you can easily share required documents with your team in real time from any device. You can not only share but also follow text, files, videos, images, tasks, diagrams and much more through Samepage. It is a best document collaboration tool where you can easily archive document and also get file recovery option.
Samepage document management features: collaboration tools, document archiving, document assembly, document indexing, file retrieval, offline access, version control
Bit.ai is an intelligent document management system that helps companies organize knowledge by projects, teams and departments. This tool allows you to create unlimited number of workspaces without any problem.
It allows you to organize the contents of your document into folders and subfolders. This program offers themes to transform your documents into a new look with just one mouse click.
- It helps you get useful information about documents.
- You can run an analysis report on any document.
- This cloud-based document management software allows you to manage user roles and permissions.
- Bit.ai allows you to customize the workflow.
- It supports over 100 file formats.
Bynder is a CMS with over a million users worldwide. Provides various document management functions. It helps professionals speed up video and other content creation, deliver the right resources to the people and systems that need them, and ensure brand compliance.
- Great collaboration tools
- Easy-to-create style guides for sharing.
- Ideal for marketing
- Digital asset management
- Offers a creative workflow.
- He has excellent customer reviews.
- Bynder can accelerate the lifecycle of creative content from start to finish.
- It allows you to share files securely both internally and externally without any hassle.
Every day, businesses and enterprises have to share a large amount of data and information with each other or between employees in the organization. This can seem like a pretty difficult task if documents are saved and shared using traditional methods, mainly pencil and paper. In fact, it increases the risk of errors while compromising the smooth running of the business.
To recover from this, several companies have started recording and storing documents digitally, but this also comes with a downside. Many large companies and enterprises often go through a lot of turbulence when they find a previously used report among many others. This is where document management software can come in handy. From creating, tracking, storing and archiving documents, simple but attractive software can offer many benefits to reduce wasted time and therefore increase productivity. In this guide, we will gradually understand each aspect of the document management system.
What does document management software do?
Document management is a system or process used to capture, track and store electronic documents such as PDFs, word processing files and digital images of paper-based content.
What are the 3 types of filing systems?
Filing and classification systems fall into three main types: alphabetical, numeric and alphanumeric. Each of these types of filing systems has advantages and disadvantages, depending on the information being filed and classified.
What is a document management plan?
Document management is the process of organizing, storing, protecting, and sharing documents. The Document Management Plan describes how to manage both the hard copy and electronic repositories of documents, historical information, and provides a consistent approach to the creation, update and format of documents.