When we hear the term “data migration”, questions like: What is data migration? Because it is necessary? How it is done, etc., instantly appear in our mind.
This article will cover all the basic data migration queries as well as the main data migration tools available in the market. We will discuss in detail the main features of these best tools to make it easier to understand.
What is data migration?
As the name suggests, data migration is the process by which data is transferred between systems. These transfer systems can be data storage types or file formats. Data from the old system is transferred to a new system through a particular mapping template.
Mapping models contain designs for data extraction as well as data loading activities. The design acts as a translator between old data formats and new system formats, ensuring smoother data migration.
Why is data migration necessary?
Data migration may be necessary for a number of reasons why we need to move data between systems.
Commonly observed reasons include:
- Application migration
- Maintenance or upgrade activities
- Server / storage equipment replacement
- Data center migration or relocation
- Website consolidation, etc.
How is the data migration done?
Data migration is a tedious task that would require a large amount of human resources to complete the activity manually. Therefore, it was automated and carried out programmatically using tools designed to serve this purpose.
Programmatic data migration consists of phrases like pulling data from the old system, loading data into a new system, verifying the data to ensure that the data is migrated accurately.
Best Data Migration Software in 2022
1. EaseUS Todo PCTrans
Best Data Migration Software for Novices Migrating from Older Windows Versions.
EaseUS Todo PCTRans free data migration software will provide you with a one-click solution to migrate your files from one computer to another without data loss.
The software enables you to transfer data, applications, and accounts between Windows computers, and it supports popular applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, Google Chrome, Firefox, Photoshop, AutoCAD, Dropbox, etc. for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8/7 / Vista / XP.
When you start your new system after using the software, all the apps are pre-installed and ready to go, which is convenient for novice users as you don’t have to worry about reinstalling.
Not only can you migrate files from your old PC to your Windows 10 and new Windows 11, but you can also recover programs and files from a dead computer.
Todo Backup is an additional feature offered by the company that comes with a Migrate OS to SSD / HDD tool that allows you to copy a system drive to an SSD or HDD.
The free 24/7 transfer guide ensures expert support throughout the data migration process.
Price – EaseUS Todo PCTrans is free.
- One click solution
- Automatic file migration without data loss
- All applications are pre-installed and ready to use.
- Transfer over a network connection, locally or with image files
- Recover data from a dead or won’t boot computer
- Copy a system drive to an SSD or hard drive
- Clone HDD to SSD without Windows
- Free transfer guide 24/7
A complete data transfer software that comes in the form of a one-click solution, is compatible with all popular applications and allows you to backup, transfer and clone, it is also free.
2. Acronis True Image
#1 Data Migration Software with Useful Security Extras.
Acronis True Image is data backup software that helps you protect, clone, and migrate your operating system, startup information, programs, photos, and more.
With its end-to-end encryption that protects your files, the company has no knowledge of the contents of your backups, while the data is kept in the cloud for protection and easy access.
Built-in anti-malware features come with full backup software, and the tool is available on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
True Image’s active disk learning feature allows you to create an exact replica of your Windows or Mac system while the operating system is in use, allowing you to continue your operations without the need to reboot the system machine and stop it. what are you doing.
The Acronis Essential tier costs $ 49.99 per year for one device.
- Change computer drive from HDD to SSD and migrate to each other
- Transfer data between iOS and Android
- Disk cloning and partition resizing
- Keep 20 file versions for up to 6 months
- Backup a full disk image and copy, format, partition and delete a hard disk image
- Be on the lookout for suspicious behavior with all your files
- Automatic mobile and event-based backups
- Backup validation, protection against ransomware and cryptojacking
- Replications with recovery
By protecting your device against drive failure, stolen devices, cyberattacks and more, Acronis True Image will allow you to create a replica of your system even if it is in use, as well as a host of other features such as full disk backups, version control, file sharing, folder syncing, etc.
3. MiniTool Partition Wizard
It is a professional disk and partition management program. This software can help you clone disk and partition for data backup and migration. It can help you migrate OS from hard drive to SSD or vice versa.
It also allows you to clone data to a smaller capacity drive as long as you have enough space to save the data you saved on the source drive.
As mentioned above, MiniTool Partition Wizard is a partition manager program. Therefore, this software can help you better manage your disk.
Also, you can test disk performance, check and repair disk problem, move and resize partition, manage dynamic volume, create bootable media and recover deleted files or recover data from lost or formatted partitions and disks.
In short, it is a multifunctional program. You can give it a try and you won’t be disappointed. Click here for tutorials on using MiniTool’s Partition Wizard.
4. Paragon Drive Copy Professional
Paragon Drive Copy Professional is ideal for data migration and backup. It also has some partition management functions. Like MiniTool Partition Wizard, Paragon Drive Copy Professional can clone drive and migrate operating system. You can restore your data from backups.
However, this software is relatively bad at disk management, disk repair, and data recovery. If you have not backed up your data before it is lost or there is a problem with your drive, this software will not be able to help you solve those problems.
Of course, if you just want to use it to clone disks and partitions, or migrate the operating system, this software can help you.
Xplenty is a cloud-based data integration platform. This is a complete set of tools for creating data pipelines. Provides solutions for marketing, sales, customer support, and developers. These solutions are available for the retail, hospitality and advertising industries. Xplenty is an elastic and scalable platform.
- Xplenty has functions for easy migrations. It will help you migrate to the cloud.
- Xplenty provides the functions to connect to existing systems.
- It will help you easily connect and migrate data from local legacy systems.
- It is compatible with Oracle, Teradata, DB2, SFTP and SQL servers.
Xplenty does not follow any fixed price plans. Offer a 7-day trial to all new customers who request a demo. Prices based on the number of connectors used by users. The cost does not vary depending on the volume or complexity of the data.
6. AWS data channel
Amazon Web Services (AWS) hosts several tools for working with data in the cloud. AWS Data Pipeline focuses on data transfer. Another key AWS tool that focuses on moving data from sources to analytics targets is called AWS Glue. AWS Glue is primarily focused on ETL.
Here are some key features of AWS Data Pipeline:
- Transformations: AWS Data Pipeline supports preload transformations that use SQL commands. Allows you to graphically create a pipeline through a console using the AWS Command Line Interface (CLI). This requires defining the pipeline in JSON format. You can also create a pipeline programmatically using API calls.
- Support and Training: AWS provides online support through a knowledge base and ticket system. These support tickets can be answered by chat or by phone. AWS Data Pipeline offers extensive documentation for its operation. Apart from that, AWS Data Pipeline also offers digital training material.
- Connectors: AWS Data Pipeline supports four types of data nodes as destinations and sources, namely SQL, DynamoDB, Redshift tables, and S3 locations. AWS Data Pipeline does not support any SaaS data sources at this time.
AWS Data Pipeline Pricing
AWS Data Pipeline offers pricing plans based on how often your activities and prerequisites are scheduled to run and whether they run on AWS or on premises.
7. Hevo data
A fully managed codeless data pipeline platform like Hevo helps you integrate and upload data from over 100 different sources to a destination of your choice in real time and effortlessly. Hevo with its minimal learning curve can be set up in minutes, allowing users to download data without compromising performance. Its strong integration with n-th sources allows users to import data of different types seamlessly without having to code a single line.
Features of Hevo:
- Fully automated – The Hevo platform can be set up in minutes and requires minimal maintenance.
- Transformations: Hevo provides preload transformations through Python code. It also allows you to run transform code for each event in pipelines that you configure. You must edit the properties of the event object received in the transform method as a parameter to perform the transform. Hevo also offers drag-and-drop transformations, like control and date functions, JSON, and event handling, to name a few. These can be configured and tested before use.
- Connectors: Hevo supports over 100 integrations with BI SaaS platforms, files, databases, analytics, and tools. Supports multiple destinations, including Google BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake Data Warehouses; Amazon S3 data lakes; and MySQL, MongoDB, TokuDB, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL databases, to name a few.
- Real-time data transfer: Hevo provides real-time data migration, so you can always have your data ready for analysis.
- 100% Complete and Accurate Data Transfer – Hevo’s robust infrastructure ensures reliable data transfer without data loss.
- Scalable Infrastructure: Hevo has built-in integrations for 100+ sources, including 30+ free sources like Google Analytics, Salesforce, HubSpot, etc. that can help you scale your data infrastructure to suit your needs.
- 24/7 Live Support: The Hevo team is available 24/7 to provide you with exceptional support via chat, email, and support calls.
- Schema Management: Hevo eliminates the tedious task of schema management and automatically detects the schema of the incoming data and assigns it to the target schema.
- Live monitoring: Hevo allows you to monitor the flow of data so you can check where your data is at any time.
Hevo data pricing
The figure above shows the rate plans billed annually.
The different pricing models are as follows:
- Free: This plan is offered at no cost.
- Beginner: This plan ranges from $ 249 / user / month to $ 999 / user / month and varies based on the number of events required for your use case, from 20 million to 300 million events. These figures are for annual billing. For monthly billing, the price ranges from $ 299 / user / month to $ 1,249 / user / month.
- Company: This plan is customizable. You can get a quote from them at an affordable price that fits your budget.
Fivetran offers automated data integration based on a fully managed ELT architecture. Its idempotent central architecture makes it resistant to duplication and data failure while minimizing computational costs. Fivetran eliminates user maintenance and guarantees 99.9% uptime.
Features of Fivetran:
- Transformations: Fivetran does not transform data before loading it. Recently, it has started offering support for post-load transformations via SQL copy and paste.
- Assistance and training: Fivetran offers assistance via a form integrated into the application. It also offers comprehensive documentation for all of its services. However, Fivetran does not offer any training services.
- Connectors: Fivetran offers connectors for various data sources. It supports over a dozen data storage destinations, but does not support data lakes.
Fivetran pricing is credit based. Credits offer a value based on the actual number of MARs used by the customer during a given billing period and the MAR threshold.
The pricing plans offered by Fivetran are as follows:
We’ve seen the best data migration tools along with some equally brilliant additional tools that primarily cover each of the migration categories.
Choose the most appropriate solution, depending on which of these tools brings the most value and revenue to the organization or to customers. To conclude, we can say that different tools work better for different situations, and the best combination depends on the task at hand.
What is the preferred data migration tool for file data?
EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Best overall data migration software ($59.95-$399/year). EaseUS Todo PCTrans is a data migration tool that helps you move data, applications, and accounts between computers.
How much does data migration software cost?
As seen with NovaBACKUP and Acronis True Image, an average data migration software will range between $40 and $50 in its entry-level plan, but there are many deviations like DriveImage XML costing $100, and the Altova MapForce charging $219 for the more advanced data mapping functionalities.
The data migration software industry provides a great deal of flexibility in subscription costs, with many notable tools like EaseUS Todo PCTrans, MiniTool Partition Wizard, Macrium Reflect 7, and more offering free plans.
Which is used to migrate data?
Rsync is a data migration tool for transferring data across computer systems efficiently. It migrates data based on the time stamp and file size.