From cartoons like The Lion King and Spirited Away in the 1990s and early 2000s to modern Netflix anthology series like Love, Death and Robots, animated stories have achieved more than just cult status. : they are persistent in our culture.
And by 2022, more than 80% of Internet traffic will be video, making web video creation an increasingly important business.
With the help of online animation software, even a hobbyist can create advanced animations like CGI, 2D vectorization, stop-motion animation, typography and motion graphics, etc.
Being an animation expert is a lucrative field, whether you’re looking to launch your career, get into video editing, make money online, or monetize a YouTube channel.
This guide will help you choose the best animation software to use, whether you are a professional looking for advanced 3D modeling or a business owner wanting a simple animated how-to video.
To help you choose the best animation software, I’ve put together a list of the best 2D animation software, the best free animation software, and this year’s 3D animation software options.
What is Animation software?
Animators use animation software to create motion graphics in a single frame. The individual images are combined to create motion graphics that are used for video games and animated movies.
Computer animation began in the 1940s and 1950s, but it was in 1988 with a product called Softimage that modern animation began. For the first time, animation, modeling, and rendering have been combined into one tool, which has now been used to create hundreds of feature films and video games.
Animation is present in almost everything we do. From sending GIFs to creating presentations to making video games and feature films, animation software is at the heart of it all. Making an animation involves a series of frames that you manipulate over a set of keyframes.
You can create the animations yourself with software or hire someone to do it for you.
If you’re ready to download and use a tool yourself, this article ranks and reviews the best animation software to try this year.
Best Animation Software in 2022
Here are my picks for the best animation software for animators and businesses.
Adobe Animate is 2D and vector animation software designed for web and mobile application development.
You can animate vector graphics, create interactive content, add effects, and more. This software also has built-in templates which you can customize as you like.
Adobe Animate is designed for people who want to animate vector graphics, create interactive content, add effects, and more. This software also has built-in templates which can be customized as you like. Adobe Animate is ideal for people who want to create interactive web pages or animations.
- Use Adobe Animate to animate vector graphics.
- Create interactive content with the functionality of Adobe Animate.
- Create content with simple drag and drop actions.
- Add effects to your animations with Adobe Animate’s built-in templates, such as color and tone effects, time effects for video, and more.
- Extended support for vector graphics animation.
- Built-in templates for easy customizations and interactive content
- Color and tone effects, temporary effect on video and more.
Here’s a simple breakdown of Adobe Animate pricing:
Adobe Animate costs $ 20.99 per month for the personal version.
If you want access to all Adobe products, you can pay $ 52.99 per month and access all of its tools.
Either way, Adobe Animate offers a free trial that you can try out risk-free.
Originally created in 1998, Maya is an Oscar-winning (2003) computer graphics and 3D animation software. Currently owned by Autodesk, it is particularly useful for creating interactive 3D applications such as movies, video games, TV series, special effects, etc.
It is undoubtedly one of the best software tools on the market that provides 3D animation, and has been acclaimed for its use in notable films such as “The Lord of the Rings”, “Spiderman”, “Star Wars” and “Ice La age. ‘
The best part is that it is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Maya is one of the best animation software tools for creating animated images, video games, and adding 3D effects to movies. If you need high-quality visuals, Maya is here for you.
- Clip matching function
- Bifrost liquid creation feature that creates photorealistic film simulations.
- Excellent character animator
- Enables depth-adaptable liquid simulations
- Integrated accelerated modeling workflows
- Paint effect function that allows you to create 3D shapes using freehand drawing tools and drawing software
- Improved visualization 2.0 and DX11Shader renderer (blurring, shading effects, translucency)
- Freeform approach for 3D modeling allowing you to add as many layers as you like
- Arnold integration – This RenderView feature can be used to display scene changes in real time
- Create your own scripts and plugins for better customization (in mayan language or in python script)
- Voice-o-matic provides lip sync technology, motion capture, and walk cycles
- Complex animation tasks made by hand extremely easy
- Efficient color management (useful Boolean operations in polygon geometry)
- Create realistic effects including explosions and fabric simulations.
- Excellent rendering technology for even the most advanced projects.
- It comes with a 30-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Maya is by far the best 3D animation software on the market and costs $ 1,545 / year (or $ 195 / month). They also offer a free 30-day trial so you can test the software before purchasing.
Maya is one of the best on the market and my number 2 pick this year.
You can try Maya for free with a 30-day free trial or buy an annual plan and save 33%.
3. Maxon Cinema 4D
Ideal for 3D artists looking for software to achieve amazing results quickly and painlessly.
Price: From 61.49 € / month. A free trial for 14 days.
Cinema 4D is a 3D package from Maxon that is not only easy to use but also extremely powerful. The interface is very intuitive and easy to use. Cinema 4D is a perfect tool for beginners because it has many tutorials and an exceptional help system.
Companies have chosen Cinema 4D for its reliability and ability to produce fast, high-quality results.
- Many tools for 3D creation, including modeling, texturing, animation and rendering.
- Pipeline supports many formats for import and export.
- Model library with high quality textures and objects.
Verdict: Maxon Cinema 4D is an excellent choice for beginners as well as experienced graphic designers. It’s the perfect solution for small and medium-sized businesses because it’s easy to use and powerful enough to quickly produce amazing results.
Ideal for beginners and professionals alike looking for an affordable tool for creating animation.
- Moho Debut13 $ 59.99. No free trial.
- Pro13 Moho $ 399.99. Free trial for 30 days.
Moho is an animation software solution that comes in two different packages, namely Moho Pro13 and Moho Debut13.
Moho Debut13 is fun and easy to use 2D animation software, while Moho Pro 13 is a more advanced version that supports 3D animation. Mold is used in classrooms, professional studios and homes around the world.
- All 2D and 3D animation tools in one easy to use interface.
- There are many content add-ons available for purchase.
- Moho Pro is customizable with scripting support.
Verdict: Moho offers two products, namely for beginners and one for professionals. The software has all the necessary tools for high quality animations. It is a great option for individuals and medium to large businesses.
Released in 2014, Animaker is a DIY 2D animation and video editing software. It offers a wide range of services, including helping users to create animated videos using embedded videos and infographics.
In 2017, she launched a vertical (animated) video creation tool, the first animation company to do so.
The built-in templates are extremely self-contained for basic animation work, including educational tutorials and classroom instruction.
- It is a cloud-based video and animation maker for GIFs, short videos, and live video editing.
- Use HTML and Adobe Flash
- You can download animated videos directly from platforms like Facebook and YouTube (videos can also be downloaded as mp4 extension)
- Offers the Google Chrome extension
- It has one of the largest collections of animated characters, properties, icons, graphics, and maps.
- Offers video creation in six different and unique video styles and layouts
- Provide video infographics.
- Allows you to edit and customize how-to videos (text to speech, background music tracks, over 100 sound effects)
- Professional level functions (recording, multiple movies, camera, curve, transition effects, input and output effects)
- Animaker Platform (brings together all the features of animated videos and the convenience of powerpoint on the same platform)
- Audio features include voiceover and automatic lip syncing for characters
- Text support in over 50 languages (support for custom fonts)
- Export video in Full HD (1080p)
- Sometimes the preview may cause the video to lag
- Sometimes there are errors while downloading videos.
- The free version does not offer HD animation
For starters, it offers a freemium version with basic and limited functionality.
After that, Animaker offers three paid plans including:
- The “Personal” package costs $ 12 per month (payable annually).
- The “Startup” plan costs $ 19 per month (payable annually).
- The “Business” package is priced at $ 39 per month (payable annually).
Like many other software solutions, animation software is also available in all shapes and sizes. While there are clear winners, the most important thing is to understand what you want to achieve and then choose the software solution that best meets your needs and budget.
To help you get started, we have selected the winners for the best general solution and the best solution for beginners.
Best Overall: Maya Autodesk
For sheer power and capacity, Maya Autodesk is the best overall winner. Although the price is the highest of all the tools we compare, but when it comes to technical capabilities, nothing beats this program.
Best for beginners: Moho
While there are perfectly logical and free animation software solutions for beginners, Moho has something to grow with you. It’s also fun and easy to use, making the investment in the time required a pleasant one.
Which is the No 1 animation software?
Autodesk’s Maya is undoubtedly one of the best if you’re a professional animator looking for a powerful 3D animation tool. With Maya, you get it all: modelling, animation, visual effects. As if that wasn’t good enough, Maya has one of the best physics engines and rendering systems on the market.
How expensive is Adobe animate?
Get Animate as part of Adobe Creative Cloud for just US$20.99/mo. Get Animate as part of Adobe Creative Cloud for just US$20.99/mo. Animate just about anything. Design interactive animations for games, TV shows, and the web
Can you animate on Windows 10?
The window animations options are located in Performance Options. To open Performance Options, press the Windows key, type “Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows” and hit the enter key. There are two window animation options in Performance Options.
Can I animate on a laptop?
You don’t really need an exotic kind of Laptop or any specific features to animate on a Laptop. There certainly are some features that will make your work more efficient & faster, but any Laptop that meets the minimum requirements for the Animation Software you would like to use, can basically be used to animate on.